Hey everyone! As you may know, skin and the topic of acne has been a recurring theme here on the blog. It’s been a huge part of my life and something that has affected me for years. When it comes to my skin, you name it, I’ve tried it! But sometimes after all the steps, companies, and various products you could go through, it’s the simplest procedures you can do yourself that will make the biggest difference. Lately, my skin has not been very clear, so after lots of time trying to figure out why that was, I decided to take a step back and think about the basics. Here is a little list for you guys about the best ways to keep your skin clear through all the holiday festivities!
- Drink water! I thought I’d start off with the easiest, most straightforward tips you’ve probably heard a million times before. Drinking water is one of the best things you could do for your skin and your body in general! Up to 60% of our bodies are made of water so why wouldn’t you hydrate the heck out of it?? Through busy schedules, I know it is extremely easy to forget about drinking water, but that’s no bueno. I’ve gotten in the habit the last four years of college to bring a hydroflask with me everywhere I go. If I don’t drink enough water, I end up getting pretty bad headaches as well. So all around for me, water is absolutely essential!
- Clean your makeup brushes! Ah the dreaded and often forgotten chore of cleaning the makeup brushes. You should be cleaning your makeup brushes about every couple weeks if not more than that. Brushes and beauty blenders collect so much bacteria and oil from your skin and if they are not cleaned often, it could end in a pretty bad breakout. I understand this from personal experience. I’ll be the first to admit I’m extremely bad about cleaning my makeup brushes. It’s just something that isn’t at the top of my to do list…and it really should be! Whenever I have any major breakouts, I ask myself when the last time I cleaned my brushes was. I have an entire post about how I clean my makeup brushes here if you’d like to check it out, it’s really very easy just time consuming!
- Wash your sheets! Another idea you wouldn’t think would cause breakouts! But the sad reality is that if you don’t clean your sheets often enough, your pillowcase will cause you to flare up. I usually clean my sheets every other week to try and avoid this. I also just love feeling clean, comfy and cozy in my bed so it’s a habit I’ve gotten myself into. Specifically freshman year of college I was religious about changing my sheets every other week on the dot!
- Don’t workout with makeup on! There have been times in my life where I felt like I had to cover up my breakouts before working out. I look back on this and I just want to scream at myself! This is probably one of the worst things you could do if you’re mid breakout. Just the thought of having makeup on my skin and my pores opening up while running makes me cringe. You already sweat when you workout, so adding insult to injury by having a face of makeup on won’t do you any favors. I’ve come to the point in my life when even though I have breakout every now and again, I will never go to the gym with foundation on. Never ever again! However, this semester I have been taking yoga/sculpting class which has been surprisingly challenging! I have a design class right before yoga so I have a full face of makeup on. I think one of the main causes of my breakouts lately is going to yoga with this makeup on and working out in it. That’s been the only down side to having yoga in the middle of the day. I unfortunately have no time to remove it between classes. Luckily the class will end soon and I won’t ever have to sweat in makeup again!
- Wash your face twice a day! Another fairly obvious tip. I use the face wash Cetaphil once in the morning and once before I go to bed. It’s very foamy and gentle and has worked very well for my skin the last couple years. When looking for a new face wash, try to avoid anything with beads in it and look for something softer. I also recommend finding a good face mask that really works well for your skin. Everyone is different, so you may have to experiment a little to find the perfect product for you. I’ve done so many face masks in the past and I’ve mentioned this before, but the Lush Mask of Magnaminty is one of the crown jewels in my skincare routine. I try to use it at least a couple times a week and it leaves my skin feeling refreshed and new. Wow, that totally sounded like a scam commercial, but I promise this product is a keeper!
That’s about it for my skincare list! Do you have any tips or tricks that keep your skin free of breakouts? I’m always looking for new home remedies to try out! Comment down below if you’d like to share or if you liked this list! Talk to you guys tomorrow for a little surprise announcement! xx