Self Care: Essential Oils, Journaling, and More!

spa_main_-_thinkstock

Hello everyone! Thought I’d write up a blog post on this rainy March night. It’s really coming down tonight and inspires me to write down some ideas about self care. Through all the stress of wrapping up school lately, taking care of myself has definitely taken a back seat. Sharing some of the best ways to practice good self care is something I hope will be helpful to you guys and an important reminder to myself.

Essential Oils
I’ve known about essential oils for a while now, but just recently got an essential oil diffuser last Christmas. I know they are meant to be very helpful when applied to your wrists and various parts of your body, but I didn’t know just how effective they would be when diffused! When I got the flu a couple times this season, I put the Eucalyptus oil in the diffuser, and it really helps clear up your sinuses. I used it every night and even the calming sounds of the water were very relaxing. Speaking of relaxing, I use the Lavender scent whenever I can’t sleep. This oil seriously knocks you out and puts you in a drowsy state (which is great for insomnia, in my experience!) I love how these scents fill my room and they’re much less overwhelming than candles. As much as I love candles, most of them tend to make me sneeze and the essential oils have not been giving that effect.

Journaling
When I was a kid, I would write in a journal consistently for a while and then completely forget about it. I have a few entries from when I was around 9 years old and it’s hilarious and kind of sweet to look back on. This year, when I was having a bit of a hard time, I started a journal back up again. It’s a great way to declutter your mind; all your thoughts move from your brain to the paper, and then you can forget about them! I don’t write every single night, but when I especially want to take care of myself mentally. I use it as a stream of consciousness (if you’re unfamiliar with this term, it means jotting down whatever pops into your head. They can be completely random thoughts about one topic or one hundred) and I find it very therapeutic. It may be a fun thing to look back on when I’m even older as well.

Take a Bath
Okay, throughout the years I’ve gotten tons of opinions on taking a bath. Some people are absolutely repulsed and others find it stress relieving, like me. There’s something about being immersed in water that is very calming, like it’s draining all the stress from your body. I will also through in some Epsom salt to make it smell extra good and clean. I will normally throw on a playlist or some YouTube, light a candle, and just relax. Don’t knock it till you try it!

Allow Yourself to be Pampered
This kind of goes along with the whole bath deal. Sometimes it’s okay to make yourself a priority. I love to pamper myself by doing a face mask, painting my nails, whitening my teeth, and other things along those lines. It makes me feel very put together and like I’m ready to conquer the world. It’s the little things, ya know?

Blogging
This one goes out to all my WordPress/blog friends! I don’t know about you guys, but blogging is very therapeutic for me, especially with wordy posts like this one. The fact that I can write whatever I please, post it to people all over the world, and receive feedback is something I find so much happiness in. I love hearing the perspectives of others and connecting with kind people, even if we’re thousands of miles away. Blogging is something I do as a personal hobby, and it really takes me away from the stresses of school and other responsibilities (at least for a little bit, lol).

What do you like to do to destress/practice self care? I’d love to find some new ideas, and I’m sure others would love to know down in the comments! Talk to you all soon!

signature

Find me here: Instagram | Tumblr

32 Comments

1. March 10, 2018 / 10:41 pm

Omg! Trust me I was working on a post just like this! It’ll be up this Wednesday! Btw loved this post and I started journaling at the age of 9 too! xx

• March 10, 2018 / 10:53 pm

that’s awesome! i’ll have to read it💕 and that’s awesome, i think it’s a great age to start

• March 11, 2018 / 12:51 am

Yeah I guess so! xx

2. March 11, 2018 / 3:45 am

I keep meaning to look at using oil diffusers for around the house, are they meant to help with calming measures then? I don’t know much about them:(

• March 11, 2018 / 11:11 am

there are some scents that will have a calming effect. each oil does something different, and i’m honestly not educated enough on all of them to recommend one specifically for calmness. you could definitely look it up though!💕

3. March 11, 2018 / 5:51 am

I personally love baths as a way to relax but if I’m particularly sweaty then I will shower first as the idea of sitting in particularly dirty water for about 10-20 minutes doesn’t sound too appealing! I’ve read lots of posts about the benefits of essential oils so will have to try them myself. xx

• March 11, 2018 / 11:10 am

that’s definitely a good idea to rinse first. and yeah definitely try out essential oils, they have a big selection at Sprouts!

4. March 11, 2018 / 8:56 am

These are some great tips, I absolutely love journalling!xx

• March 11, 2018 / 11:09 am

it really is a great way to destress and be creative!

5. March 11, 2018 / 10:03 am

I love taking a day to myself to pamper! Doing my eyebrows, painting my nails, and soaking in the tub is the best (:

• March 11, 2018 / 11:08 am

omg yes that’s the best!

6. March 11, 2018 / 11:21 am

Oh my gosh I used to keep a journal and it’s so cute to look back on but kind of cringey aha 😀 i keep a thankfulness journal now and you’re right it’s so therapeutic 😊 xx

• March 11, 2018 / 12:00 pm

haha omg yes it’s so cringey, you’re right! and i love the idea of a thankfulness journal, i’ll have to add that into mine😘

• March 12, 2018 / 12:50 am

Haha glad you agree 😊 awww yayyy xx

7. March 12, 2018 / 4:02 pm

I love using candles but essential oil has been in hype so I’m getting really curious. You think its worth it?

• March 12, 2018 / 8:12 pm

i definitely think it’s worth it, especially if you like going the natural route. I personally think essential oils do great things for your health while candles are simply for our enjoyment. maybe just try one type of oil for calmness or sickness and see how you like it before you buy more! xx

• March 13, 2018 / 3:44 am

Oh. Thanks! I’ll be sure to try it out now

8. March 12, 2018 / 8:27 pm

I love Epsom salts in a bath as they have healing properties for tires muscles. In the winter, they help alleviate tension and pain that I build up. I also live my diffuser! I feel like I need one for every room. All such great self care options.

• March 12, 2018 / 8:28 pm

i totally agree, epsom salt is so good for sore muscles! and omg if i could have a diffuser in every room, I’d be the happiest girl around lol

9. March 12, 2018 / 10:05 pm

I love to write when I’m feeling stressed 🙌🏻 a good bath with some youtube to watch is always nice! & you’ve totally inspired me to get some new essential oils for my diffuser! love this, self care is so important!!

• March 12, 2018 / 10:22 pm

ahh i totally agree. self care is forgotten so easily! but honestly it becomes almost fun to take care of yourself and feel good! and yes let me know if you get any good new oils!

10. March 19, 2018 / 12:51 am

Lovely post, I always find doing my nails relaxing and when I have done it I always feel so much more put together!

• March 19, 2018 / 8:22 am

oh that’s a great idea too! i love doing my nails!

11. March 31, 2018 / 2:52 pm

Hey! You should have a look at my blog… I’ve just started using young living essential Oils, this company is fab and I’m learning so much! There is so much to learn it’s like a part time job! I do love to learn though. I recently got a premium starter kit which has a diffuser and 12 oils and samples… I’m in the UK and paid £135 and its a bargain! The oils are such good quality (and because of this they are pretty expensive) 1/2 drops each use is all you need so they will last forever! (almost)
    If you want more information message me at ministryofminding.com or ministryofminding@outlook.co.uk
    Alex 🙂

12. June 2, 2018 / 2:34 am

I am one of those people that just don’t like baths. I much prefer a quick shower and a nice cosy evening with a good book, some fuzzy socks and calming music afterwards.
    I totally agree with you on the journaling thing, although for me it is much more about self-reflecting. I usually ask myself an important question and write down everything that comes to my mind about that certain topic.
    Lot’s of Love Jule

• June 3, 2018 / 9:44 am

that’s awesome that you found some things that work for you! i love some fuzzy socks too!

13. July 30, 2018 / 11:04 am

Such a great post !! What brand of EO’s do you use ? Glad to see they’ve replaced those candles !

• July 31, 2018 / 1:31 pm

thank you! and I’m actually not quite sure, but I usually get them at Sprout’s

• July 31, 2018 / 9:33 pm

Did you know that an essential oil can be labeled as 100% pure even if the bottle contains more than actual essential oils ? That’s why those EO’s on store shelves are so cheap because they truly are not pure ! It’s so crazy and sad that people get ripped off from the true amazing things EO’s can do !! I hope that’s not the case for you because I’ve never been there and seen their bottles ! But please please please be careful of what you are using because there are a lot that can be not-so-good for you !

• July 31, 2018 / 10:30 pm

good to know. Sprout’s is one of the healthiest stores you can shop at (which is why their products are so expensive). luckily i don’t use essential oils on a daily basis so I think I should be okay. thank you for the info!

• July 31, 2018 / 10:34 pm

That’s good to hear !! Although , the more you use the EO’s , the more you get out of them !! So if you use them more often , you’ll get more benefits from them in the long haul ☺️