Thinking About: Pressures of Social Media and Being Unapologetically YOU!

Hello beauties! Recently I’ve had a bit of an epiphany, especially regarding blogging. I hope you guys are okay with this being a wordy post, and if not, I’m asking you to read as far as you possibly can because I think this message is really important for every person. I’ve been thinking long and hard lately about the current status of this blog. A lot of my time is spent stressing about getting a blog post up. Guilt racks my brain knowing posts aren’t going up in a consistent order. I think guilt when it comes to posting is fairly common in this community and I really want to talk about that today. Another topic I’d love to cover is being shy in front of a camera, feeling like someone is silently judging you, and attempting to be completely and utterly yourself. I’ll split this post up into two different sections so if you’d like to read one or the other that’s cool too!

Quality Over Quantity

Consistency has always been on my mind regarding my blog. I’ve never been good at it and it always seems like something I’m chasing to master. I’ve attempted the: Just get a post up on a specific day, at a specific time, even if you don’t love the content. I don’t think this is a mindset that works for me. While I still agree some sort of consistency is vital for a successful blog, I want MORE for this passion of mine. I don’t want to simply throw something up because the time of day is demanding it. I want to create something I’m proud of and something I want to share with people in my actual life. Throughout these four years of my blog, I’ve kept it relatively quiet. It isn’t until recently that I started to reach out to other people in my life and most have been extremely receptive and supportive!

I’ve felt myself recently coming up with ideas for a post just because it was doable and something I could get up quickly. I’d even get a bit bored of myself and these ideas! If I don’t want to read my own posts, how can I expect anyone else to? If I want this to become more than just a hobby some day or add even more meaning to my current career, I don’t want to feel like this anymore. I want to spend time on being creative and let go of the mindset that this is possibly a waste of time. So many people might believe it is a waste of time, but I don’t ever want to take that to heart. The post you’re currently reading came from one of my personal writings. Here’s a little excerpt: “Your job matters, but so do your passions. They light your fire! New goal: be SO incredibly proud and happy with my own content to the point where I’m my own subscriber.” From now on I want to spend more than a few hours making a post. I went to spend genuine time creating content, key word CREATING and completely without limits. Having fun with blogging again only making things for my own happiness and satisfaction is what I want to strive for.

IMG_0108_Facetune_17-08-2018-16-19-26.jpeg

Self Consciousness & Photography

One of the most important (and at times, most fun) parts about blogging is the photography! Especially someone who has lived with a creative mind, photography has always brought my posts full circle and essentially brought them to life! However, at times it can be one of the hardest aspects about being so active online. Sometimes I don’t particularly enjoy being in front of the camera, however if I’m planning an OOTD, this is kind of unavoidable. Just like anyone else I have good and bad days especially when it comes to photos of myself.

Whenever I ask someone to take a photo of me in a public place, this is especially where my anxiety comes in. You can’t help but let little thoughts sneak in like: “I really hope no one is looking at me taking this photo” or “I hope no one thinks I’m weird while I’m doing this.” What I’ve come to lately though is: WHO CARES?! If you enjoy something and its adding something positive and significant to your life, forget anyone else who throws negativity your way or tries to downgrade your success. Being unapologetically YOU matter so much and I believe it will bring you the most rewards. What if you put all of your energy into this? What greatness could become of it? Another little line I wrote out was: “Prove them wrong by being consumed in your own happiness.”

These are just a couple things specifically related to blogging that I’ve been thinking about lately. I hope it helped even one of you in any way because I don’t think I’m alone in any of these thoughts (or at least I hope I’m not!) Comment down below if you’ve ever had these thoughts cross your mind and how you’ve dealt with them. Let’s get a positive and effective conversation going!

signature.png

Check me out here! Instagram | Tumblr | Twitter | Facebook

21 Comments

1. August 20, 2018 / 8:16 am

I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately! When you’re just pushing out content to push out content, blogging can feel like work and be so discouraging.

• August 20, 2018 / 8:26 pm

exactly!! i’m definitely focusing on enjoyment more now and loving it so much more than i thought possible!

2. August 20, 2018 / 9:21 am

Quality over Quantity – consistency is never my friend but this month, I’ve been posting daily. I’ve been lacking for the past two months. Last May, I didn’t even get a single post up. I took the break. Now, I am overdoing it again LOL but, I set my posts for this month last month, I list down all the ideas I have. Since, mine has no niche. It really is all over the place, anyway. I think it’s okay as long as we’re having fun! No pressure, at all. I’ve said this to a friend before, that I hope we write for ourselves more than for other people. But, it is human nature that we seek validation for others – especially having this outlet. Meanwhile, I would have to say that writing for yourself should be the reason why we write. Writing for others should be the purpose. If that makes sense?

Self Consciousness & Photography – as a homebody I don’t really take too much photos, especially not myself. It’s just always my books, the sky, or my cats 😀 Being unapologetically YOU!!!! I love this so much!!!!

• August 20, 2018 / 8:25 pm

i’ve had a month or two without posts too and that when the real guilt sets in! i love that you post whatever you love and writing for yourself. it totally makes sense that that is the reason and the purpose is for others. very well put! thanks for the awesome comment xx

3. August 20, 2018 / 11:10 am

I totally agree and I am glad I read this! It is all about the quantity over the quality. What helped me is to plan write a post and take time to work on it rather then posting it right away.
    My biggest struggle is taking photos, I am constantly thinking is someone is watching and what do they think. I need to try and get that out of my head and not ruin the photo experience.

• August 20, 2018 / 8:23 pm

i’m assuming you meant quality over quantity? lol either way you have to find what works best for you! taking photos is definitely the tricky part without a doubt

4. August 20, 2018 / 11:45 am

I struggle with consistency too – I feel like recently I have been uploading for the sake of it rather than because I am genuinely passionate about what I am writing and it is starting to feel more like a chore than a hobby. I also get really self-conscious taking photos and am overly critical of myself – I think I look terrible in every photo. xx

• August 20, 2018 / 8:18 pm

i definitely feel that! it does feel like a chore at times but when i write things like this post it brings me so much joy to be real and honest. of course all the authentic comments make me SO happy as well! tbh i normally don’t love my photos either so i totally get that girl!!

5. August 20, 2018 / 12:38 pm

Such good thoughts, Sage!!! When I started blogging I didn’t realize people actually had set schedules for their blogs, blogged more than once a week, or there were general rules!! Sometimes I think ignorance is bliss in this world because it allows us to be authentically ourselves without feeling pressure to fit into a certain mold- the audience will resonate with that! I have felt sooo many of these same thoughts and I so appreciate you taking the articulate them. Love following along your blog, oh and I adore your name too! XO

• August 20, 2018 / 8:15 pm

this is just so sweet! it’s so nice to hear i’m not alone in my thoughts. ignorance really is bliss which is why i think blogging starts out purely as fun! i want that authenticity back. thank you so much for the kind words and you are so gorgeous! xx

6. August 20, 2018 / 8:43 pm

Yes, I’m trying to work on that second point! Most of the time I have no issue asking my boyfriend to take a pic of me when we’re out, but sometimes there’s just too many people around that I don’t feel comfortable- I wanna get out of that mindset so badly. Thank you for sharing this, it’s super important (:

• August 20, 2018 / 9:27 pm

exactly how i feel! even if it’s a great photo opportunity for my blog, sometimes i don’t take the photo because there’s too many people around. but i know if i did take those photos it would add to my blog or insta so much! thanks for your comment love

7. August 21, 2018 / 8:10 am

I also sometimes get so self-conscious when asking people to take photos of me in public, and like you said it’s usually when i’m not feeling as good and confident in myself that I start worrying about other peoples opinions. But as you said, it really doesn’t matter!
    If you’re doing something for you and it doesn’t hurt or affect anyone else at all, then do what will make you happy! Because being happy, positive and confident are the best things to be and feel in life:)

• August 23, 2018 / 1:56 pm

i completely agree and very well said! others will appreciate what you do if you love it so incredibly much!

• August 23, 2018 / 1:55 pm

thanks so much!!

8. August 23, 2018 / 2:41 pm

Quality over quantity, and I totally agree!! You could write a thousand posts a day, but if you don’t feel amazing about all of them, then they practically mean nothing. Great post!!

9. September 4, 2018 / 9:39 am

Love your openness and honesty!