Hey lovely peeps! I wanted to thank you guys so much on the support of my last post: I Was Scammed: A Message for Young Professionals. It was a very difficult (and quite odd) situation to go through but all of your comments of positivity and well wishes were very comforting and I can now laugh at the whole thing! Just another thing to learn from, right? So for today’s blog post, I wanted to discuss a couple things that will help you grow your own Instagram account. By no means am I a professional social media consultant, but these are a few things I learned in my own experience to be EXTREMELY helpful when trying to grow an audience. If you’re trying to get series about Instagram, keep reading to learn some realistic ways to ACTUALLY grow your Instagram!
First off, let’s start with some generic facts that you will hear from a lot of different sources (but let’s be honest, these aren’t helpful at all). Many will tell you, “If you create quality content, you will no doubt be successful online.” Or even, “Post consistently and you will gradually see your numbers rise over time.” While creating content that is valuable and posting regularly will help, it is not the end all be all of what you need to be doing. Let’s dig into some details with what you can do beyond this to go the extra mile!
Create An Instagram Business Account
This might be a fairly obvious point, but if you want to take social media seriously, consider creating an Instagram Business Account. It’s quite simple actually. By creating a Facebook page for your business, you now have access to a business account on Insta. Easy as that! Whether you use Facebook or not, this is the only requirement to create a business account. After that, you have access to all the benefits of this updated account. Here are some reasons a business account is vital to your success:
- Access to your account’s insights (or analytics): This includes but is not limited to profile visits on a given post, accounts reached, how many times it was saved, and impressions plus where they came from.
- Ability to see how many profile visits you received in the past 7 days
- Specific details about all of your content including Instagram Stories and Promotions
- How many times your website was clicked (assuming that you have a blog or website to link to your Instagram). In my case, I have this blog connected to my Instagram
- How many emails were sent to you
- How many impressions your overall page had in a week, as well as your reach
- Top locations your profile is being viewed
- Age range of both men and women that are viewing your page (plus percentages of those ages)
- Percentage of genders that are viewing
As you can see, there are SO MANY advantages to having an Instagram business profile. With this information you can target a specific audience, find out exactly what they’re interested in, and create a plan to develop the most effective content and genuinely affect your followers in a positive way.
Don’t Be Afraid to Reach Out to Other Bloggers/Collaborations
This is something that has helped my Instagram growth the most. So far, my Instagram has consisted of only me creating my own content for fun. However, the past few months I’ve been collaborating and working with so many other bloggers and influencers on Insta. It started out just as an engagement group, which I know there are many different opinions about those. But honestly if I didn’t become a part of this group virtually, I wouldn’t have met any of them in person. They’ve gone from Insta friends to real friends that I love creating content with! We support each other and encourage everything we do, which is extremely helpful. It isn’t all about numbers, since I genuinely enjoy all of the girls and love hearing about what they’re up to!
Of course collaborating with other Instagrammers has had a positive impact on my numbers, which was an unexpected side effect for me. Here are some benefits of making friends on Instagram!
- Tagging each other in your stories/feed posts expands your audience. What I mean by this is: if I tag one of my girlfriends on my story, my entire audience of almost 6k will be exposed to their account, potentially giving them tons of follows. So now, their following plus my own is aware of their content!
- Making genuine friends! Let’s be real. Being active on Instagram/social media and pursuing it as a career comes with a lot of stereotypes and judgments. When you’re surrounded by people that are chasing the exact same thing, you’re going to find so much support and people that will build you up. This world can be full of negativity but when it comes to your passions, only surround yourself with people that want the best for you and your creative content.
- Don’t be afraid to reach out. Most likely, any Instagrammer in your niche would like to interact with you. It’s beneficial for both sides! Instagram can be such a creative platform, so invite others to work with you. Especially if they’re living in your same area, plan a day to go out for lunch, get to know each other, and shoot some content if you’re comfortable!
Share the Love on Your Stories!
We all have specific accounts that stand out to us personally and we love to follow. You know, the ones that are constantly putting effort into their photos and wowing you with each post! Share the creativity of those accounts to your follows, and spread some love around the platform. Nothing but good can come from sharing the posts of others and building them up! While this should be your absolute #1 reason for sharing another accounts on your story, there are some benefits that can come from it.
- Appreciation breeds appreciation. Okay, this sounds a bit confusing but it’s the best way to support one another virtually. Normally, when you share your favorite accounts on your story, that account will repost you on their own. For example, whenever someone mentions my account on their story or gives me a sweet compliment, I will repost their story on mine to say thank you! Not only does this expose me to all of their followers, but it also exposes them to my following. It’s a win/win and a great way to make some sweet friends!
I hope these realistic tips to grow your Instagram were helpful to you! Let me know which one you like best in the comments or if you have strategic ways to gain an authentic audience. I’d love to hear them! Talk to you all soon! xx